Sunday, November 9, 2014

Hearst Castle

Went to Hearst Castle today - first time I've actually gone on the tour and seen the mansion. It was disappointing that they break the tour up into several different segments, each with it's own $25 ticket. I went on the Grand Rooms tour, which doesn't show you the kitchen or living quarters, just the big entertaining spaces. My favorite spot was the pool.
Diving platform
This is the fanciest pool ladder I've ever seen, by far
Due to the water shortage, they've closed the restrooms at the Visitor's Center and are exclusively using Port-a-Potties. Seemed incongruent, but I guess money can't buy everything.
Maybe Dad needs to get some zebras to accent the Black Angus at home!
I also stopped at the Elephant Seal Reserve in the San Simeon area. I had stopped here in the spring, and I'm fascinated watching the huge creatures. There were at least a thousand of them along the beach and in the water. Some were content to just sun themselves on the beach, but some wouldn't leave each other alone, in an effort to prove dominance.
Staying near Pismo Beach tonight at a place called Grover Beach. Should be a nice day tomorrow, and I hear it's going to be cold at home. I'll take the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment