Saturday, November 8, 2014

Glass Beach

Just before I left for my trip, a friend Bette sent me an email that said I need to go down to Glass Beach at Fort Bragg. It's an example of how people's bad habits have created some interesting results. It's the site of an old garbage dump, and the ocean keeps revealing more of the old glass and debris. Of course, people still are demonstrating bad habits - I was told that people keep shattering new glass here. Also, I was disappointed to see so many people collecting glass pieces by the bagful. There weren't any large pieces of blue or aqua glass to see at the time I was there. I'll bet it's a great place to go after a storm.

I was lucky to walk past a vet (I knew from his cardboard sign) who informed me that the best beach to go to isn't the one where the trail signs lead you to, but it's better to go to the one just south of there. It was an interesting rock climb down, but he was absolutely right. I'd have been disappointed if I had just gone to the first beach.


Charley bellying down to the sun-warmed glass
Had another wonderful drive along Hwy 1 down the coast to the wine country, where I spent last night. Still lots of hairpin curves, but I'm getting better at getting everything appropriately stowed for the drive. Going through San Francisco, continuing south today. I learned last night that my timing is bad - the Golden Gate bridge has construction lane closures this weekend. Hopefully it's better on the weekend than during a weekday.

Always loving the beach stops

1 comment: