Saturday, October 22, 2022

Yellowstone and Home, Sweet Home

After two long days of driving across Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wyoming, Thursday I spent the day at Yellowstone National Park. I’ve only been there once before - six years ago in the springtime. Spring was better for viewing wildlife by far, but the nice thing about going in October was no crowds. 

Yellowstone River Upper Falls

Norris Geyser Basin

Artists Paintpots

Mud bubble pot. I should have taken video. It was mesmerizing. But I was also hoping to not get splattered.

Gibbon Falls

Grand Prismatic Spring. This spring is vivid with color, due to microbes. The center is bright blue, it’s rimmed with green and yellow, and the flats (microbial mats) around it are an orange-y red. It was such a windy day that the steam made it hard to see the coloration well.

Another view

Old Faithful didn’t let me down

I saw a few herd of bison, including these that were right along the roadside as I was leaving. (Photo taken from inside the pickup as I was waiting in the wildlife-sighting traffic.) I also saw a brown bear as I was near the park exit. Too far away for a photo, but I had binoculars to look up the hill and watch it for a bit. I’d have never noticed it if it wasn’t for the stopped traffic.

Friday I headed home, on my longest day of driving of the trip. Snowy weather was coming and I was hoping to avoid it. I’m thankful to be home safe, having had a great time.






No comments:

Post a Comment