Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Photos from Acadia

 

This rock formation is called Thunder Hole. When the waves hit just right, it makes a thunderous sound. It was a calm day, so it wasn’t making a ton of noise. But it was fun to watch.



Thunder Hole video

Wednesday morning I got up at 4:30 to drive up Cadillac Mountain to see the first sunrise in the U.S. Access is limited and I bought my permit for October 5 in July, hoping that I’d hit on a clear morning. Nope. But at least it was clear enough to see a hazy panoramic view and a peek-a-boo glimpse of the sun before it all got socked in a half hour later. 

While on top of the mountain, I walked the loop trail in the hazy morning fog.








Bass Harbor Head Light Station

In addition to all the hiking trails, Acadia has 45 miles of “Carriage Roads,” put in by John D. Rockefeller and family from 1913 to 1940 to allow for peaceful, motor-free travel through the forests by horse and carriage. They’ve been maintained as vehicle-free paths. You can walk, bike or take a horse and carriage ride.

Outside the park, near where I’m staying is the Asticou Azalea Garden. I see this gorgeous view from the road as I drive toward Acadia National Park.

What’s a trip to Maine without eating your fill of lobster? I arrived at Thurston’s Lobster Pound just as they had taken some out of the cooker. My lobster roll was delicious, but the blueberry crisp was divine.






No comments:

Post a Comment