Thursday, November 12, 2015

What's Shakin', Bacon?

That was the logo on the official tasting glasses of the Southwest Bacon Fest in Albuquerque last Saturday. The "Bacon, Beer and Blues" event sounded too good to pass up. It was a sunny, crisp day at the Balloon Fiesta Park, with the Sandia Mountains in the background. With the sun was shining right on you, it was warm, but by the end of the day I was glad I'd carried my jacket around all afternoon.

The festival was tasty and fun.


On Sunday Charley and I took a drive up to Santa Fe, a city I really like. I love to "window shop" at the street market area where locals sell beautiful handmade art and jewelry. The rest of the time I've just been relaxing in Albuquerque. I was able to get a super cheap rental car for the weekend, and the RV park is close to the Route 66 busline, so it's been easy to get around. Unfortunately it gets dark so early, and though it feels perfectly safe within the RV park, I'm in an area where it seems best to be off the local streets before nightfall.

Itinerary: Today I'm headed east, towards the Texas Hill Country. Not certain yet where I'll spend the next couple nights (but I'll probably stop by the Salt Lick Bar-B-Que place in Driftwood before I get to Austin). I'll be at the Pecan Grove park in Austin from Nov 15-20. I had hoped to be there Nov 14-23, but they didn't have openings for all those dates. If they have cancellations, I'll stay since it's so centrally located near the busline, the downtown area, a great park for walking the dog, and a cluster of restaurants and food trucks. After that, my next reservations are to spend Thanksgiving in San Antonio at Travelers World Nov 25-29.

No comments:

Post a Comment