Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Utah Rocks

Skyline Arch, Arches National Park
For many years, I've wanted to visit southern Utah because I've seen beautiful photos of rock formations and wild river scenes. This time of year river rafting isn't on the agenda, but I have been able to indulge my thing for big red rocks. Yesterday I visited Arches National Park, one of my goals. It was a beautiful day! I bought an annual National Parks pass and headed up the hill.

Today I went through Canyonlands National Park. It was stunning in a different way. At times it almost reminded me of the Grand Canyon. But compared to yesterday's 72 degrees, today's 42 degrees and raining at times, I was lucky to see as much as I did. At first the sun was shining and the viewpoints were amazing at Island in the Sky, a large mesa overlooking canyons of the Green and Colorado rivers. But as the afternoon went on, the clouds and rain came in, and the views, lighting and shadows weren't as spectacular. I did enjoy many rainbow sightings, and the views and lighting of the troubled skies were pretty interesting. Capped the day off with a super-cheap, yummy happy hour special at the Moab Brewery, and my short visit to SE Utah has been great.



Tomorrow, headed south for a week in Albuquerque.

No comments:

Post a Comment