Tuesday, January 20, 2015

If the Dog Could Create Heaven, It Might Look Like Austin

 
I think Austin might be my favorite city on the trip so far. Maybe it's because the weather has been good, and maybe it's because I was fortunate to get a spot at the Pecan Grove RV Park, which is close to so many things to do. One thing is for sure: it's been paradise for Charley.

I've seldom needed to leave him alone in the RV since getting to Austin almost a week ago. This many-acre dog park in the photo is about 4 blocks from where I'm staying. I'm not sure it's an official off-leash park, but don't tell the dogs that. There are a handful of restaurants and two food-truck villages right here within a couple blocks that have dog-friendly outdoor seating. And when I want to broaden my horizons, I can put him in a collapsible mesh airline carrier and take him on the city bus. We've explored all over the place. I've also stopped buying groceries temporarily because there's been so many recommended places to eat. I don't know if it's comforting or torture that I can smell the sweet, smoky BBQ firepits from two restaurants here from where I'm staying, starting when I get up in the morning.

State Capitol of Texas. Charley had to choose the lawn in front of the Governor's Mansion to do his business. (Of course I've always got pick-up bags in my purse!)

Austin is a beautiful city, with the capitol and the University of Texas downtown. The allegiance to the university is loud and proud, with even a section of the city's street name signs being burnt orange color with the Longhorn logo.

It was a fun place to watch the Seahawks for the NFC championship game. Through Google & Facebook, I found an Austin Seahawks fan group, with an open meet-up at a local sports bar. I can't even imagine watching that game alone - I needed to have some companionship for the pain and the ultimate elation. I told a friend that I talked to plenty of people during the game, but I hugged even more afterwards. I'll have to find a suitable place to watch the Super Bowl - not sure yet where I'll be.

After Austin, I'm going to plan to head towards Galveston probably sometime between Thursday and Saturday. It truly is nice not being on a set schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment