Saturday, December 26, 2015

Charley's Getting Better

Bored & ready to play ball again
I've been in New Orleans for the week of Christmas and Charley, my dog, is getting better each day. He still has an extreme palsy that prevents him from fully controlling his limbs, but he can stand up when he wants to, and until he becomes exhausted, he can walk in a staggering fashion. He's getting bored with the sedentary life. When he has the energy he even tries to run, which often results in him going head-over-heels, either forward or backwards. I try to find a good, soft lawn for his outdoor time.

I haven't spent as much time exploring New Orleans as I had originally expected because of the dog not being well. There have been a couple times that I've put him in the carrier and taken him to Frenchmen Street or Bourbon Street or people-watching along the Mississippi River and outside of Jackson Square. He's small, and over my shoulder, the black bag doesn't attract much attention. In places that have music and don't sell food, I just bring him right in and set him on the floor under my seat. I can't tell if he likes live music as much as I do, but I know he likes to "get in the box" and go places better than being left alone.

A highlight of the visit is that Cheryl Armstrong, who I used to work with, came down to New Orleans from Baton Rouge with her father and we spent time walking and wheeling around the city.


Itinerary: I've got a follow-up appointment for Charley with a veterinary neurologist on Tuesday, then I'll be motoring eastward around the Gulf. New Year's Eve will be in Biloxi, Mississippi and a couple days later I should be on Florida's Emerald Coast.


No comments:

Post a Comment