Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Buccaneer State Park

Moving along the gulf, I'm now in Waveland, Mississippi, at the Buccaneer State Park, which had been devastated in Hurricane Katrina. Today it is mostly rebuilt, and beautiful and calm (for now). While in New Orleans I had a tornado watch, which made for a not-so-restful night. My emergency management experience ensured I made a plan for what I'd do if it became a warning. Stormy weather is expected to come through again, but it doesn't sound like the area I'm in will get the extreme storms other areas north of here have experienced. 

Right now I mostly hear birds of several varieties and the occasional plop of a fish jumping. Seems I've landed in "no-see-um" country too. 

It was a short and nice drive from New Orleans. I took the local highway, alongside and across the waterways. The view was varied with well-built-looking houses perched high on stilts, lots of pull-offs with people fishing at each one, a number of rotting boats carelessly tossed alongside the highway by previous storms, beautiful egrets almost as numerous as the seagulls back home (and roadkill ranging from bear to armadillo to domestic dogs. Looks like Louisiana doesn't bother with highway cleanup in the area.) Traffic was so light I could slow down to soar alongside and admire a hawk for some distance. 

Charley had a vet check today, and she was satisfied with his progress. He celebrated with the longest walk he's taken so far post-illness around the RV loop. When he's going at a good pace, it's a challenge for me to keep up, and that's such a great improvement. He doesn't have long-term stamina, but that will come in time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment