Friday, March 20, 2015

Goodbye to Florida Keys


Tonight is my last night in the Keys. I'm already looking forward to another trip.

Here at the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, there are so many activities to choose from, mostly water-related. I went out on a glass-bottom boat tour to see rays, barracuda and other fish at the coral reef; walked the trails; biked a little; took my blow-up kayak out with Charley a couple days and snorkeled. They have several "canoe trails" through the mangroves and I think I traveled through them all. I was glad that I had been out on the glass-bottom boat first, because at one point I got out of the canoe trail into the main channel and I was really happy to be able to figure out where I was, based on the previous day's trip. I had no idea I'd gone so far out from where I put in! I really wanted to try paddle-boarding, but the state park rentals wouldn't let me bring the dog out on their board, so I decided to try that some other time. I'm a little exhausted, but really satisfied with my stay here.

One thing I've done throughout my trip has been to try local craft beer whenever possible. My favorite here has been Islamorada Sandbar Sunday. I was on their website today trying to find out where I can buy it in bottles to bring with me, and I got a little choked up by their description:

If you’ve ever been to Islamorada then you know about our legendary “Sandbar.” And if you have yet to experience a day wading in the water with a cold drink in your hand, we invite you to join the Islamorada Beer group on any Sandbar Sunday for the time of your life. 

I couldn't tell you how many Sundays I've spent with Steve wading in the water with a beer in his hand, enjoying the afternoon. In fact, it was a regular mid-afternoon thing for him to look at me and say, "You drivin' home?" before having another. He was happiest on a sunny day, tide coming in, beer in hand and nothing else pressing. Good memories.

Anticipated Itinerary: 
Fri 20th - John Pennekamp State Park, Key Largo (I was lucky enough to be able to book one more night)
Sat & Sun, 21 & 22 - Larry & Penny Thompson County Park, Miami area
Mon 23rd - Fort Clinch State Park, Amelia Island (Jacksonville, FL area)

I've decided to go a different route home and will travel through Nashville & Memphis. I'm watching the weather and am considering popping up to the Martinsville, VA race on my way by. I'll figure that out in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment