Monday, April 14, 2014

Lassen Volcanic Area

Lassen Peak. The barricades mark the road closure as they're still clearing snow from the park highway.
I left Reno Sunday morning (not a winner). Looking at weather conditions to the north, I decided I just wasn't ready to leave the warmth of California and headed west instead. I drove toward the Lassen Volcanic Area, hoping to see some of the hydrothermal features, but realized as I was looking into it that the roads were still closed for the winter. There was only a small portion of the Lassen park highway open, but I took a drive up there anyway. The area they call the "devastated area" is indeed similar to the Mt. St. Helens blast area, but much more recovered since the last big Lassen blast was in 1915.

I decided to stay somewhere near water for Charley's benefit and ended up just south of Redding, where it's around 80 degrees during the afternoon. 

Today: Staying again at the Best Western in Anderson and spending some time along the Sacramento River
Tomorrow: Headed to Bend, OR for a couple days. Planning to get a room reserved at the Entrada Lodge since it sounds dog friendly with trails to the Deschutes River. Probably stopping by the Deschutes Brewing Company while I'm there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment