Monday, December 22, 2014

The Longest Night

Last night I had an interesting experience. My sister Michelle and I had dinner at her brother-in-law's house with several other family members. After a great dinner and dessert, they brought out a set of cards, a little larger than playing cards. The artwork was extraordinary and each one was different. They were "Omens of Hafez" Persian fortune telling cards, and it's a popular Persian tradition to bring them out on "The Longest Night" (Winter Solstice) to see what the new year will bring. The text was in Farsi, so I simply got a brief English translation of the poetry. Mine said something about living a long life, that I am a proud person, and it's wise for me to go ahead and do what I want to do. There was also something about about beauty isn't everything and that all good things don't necessarily show outside beauty. It was a really interesting evening and I'll interpret it to suggest that it was a good choice to set out on my journey. That is, if I can get on with it. Early last week the parts for my RV arrived and it turns out the manufacturer sent a left side repair package, not the right side I need. It must have been an omen that I'm supposed to stay in LA just a bit longer. The shop I've been working with is going to fabricate the piece that didn't arrive and I think it will be done this week sometime. Not sure yet how the holiday will impact the schedule. At least I'm with family! Merry Christmas to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment