Friday, December 12, 2014

Leaving San Diego with a Storm

After enjoying a week on Mission Bay, I'm just north of there now, in Vista, experiencing the beginning of the same storm that has caused trouble and knocked out power back at home. Last night I could swear there was something on top of the motor home, and not just a bird, like I've commonly had before. This sound (and you could feel movement) had me outside with a flashlight looking for a big rat or something. Fortunately, all that I could see was the awning over the slide-out rippling a little in the wind. Since the wind and rain were forecast to hit full force overnight, I decided that maybe I should just retract the slide-out when I was ready for bed. I'm glad I did. Around 4 this morning, the wind gusts were really knocking the whole motor home around, and a couple hours later the torrential rains began.

The storm has made me think about the job I left behind back home. Hope all is going fine there, and that the weather impacts haven't been too bad. The news I saw mentioned Washington State, but all the video was from Northern California. The storm is supposed to be short-lived here. It's scheduled to slack off by late morning, so I'll hit the road after the winds die down.

I'm headed back to LA. The parts still aren't in for my repair, but I'm going to stay with my sister over the weekend and I'm hoping they'll be in early next week.

I really enjoyed San Diego. It was odd to see ice skaters in the sunset with palm trees around, as seen when we went to Hotel del Coronado.





P.S. I did get a chance the other night to verify the NOAA weather radio I've been using when I stay in tsunami inundation areas is working and programmed just fine, thankfully not for a tsunami warning. There was an Amber Alert in the middle of the night and dog and I were wakened up quite rudely. Glad to know it's functioning, though. It should also come in handy for tornado watches later in the trip (but hopefully not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment