Friday, May 13, 2016

The Black Hills

Rapid City, South Dakota was a nice surprise. They've taken good advantage of their status being the gateway to the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore, and installed statues of each of the former presidents at the four corners of central downtown intersections. The first thing we did when we got into town, Charley and I walked the city to check out each of the statues. It was a nice break from all the driving.


Another nice feature of Rapid City was the Prairie Edge Trading Company and Galleries. It was interesting to "window shop" and watch some of the artists at their creative work. They also had a couple young gals singing and playing music, providing a pleasant atmosphere for browsing.

I checked out the historic hill town of Deadwood, found a single-deck blackjack table and played most of the evening. The Deadwood trolley system was great. For a dollar I was able to catch a trolley from the RV park into town, and then back home, running into the wee hours. I also enjoyed the Adams House and Museum the next day.


From there, I took a beautiful drive through the Black Hills National Forest. Mount Rushmore and the interpretive center were stunning and moving (although with the day's rain, it was a little disconcerting to see Washington with a runny nose).


I also went to the Crazy Horse Memorial. I had no idea how long this project has been underway (the first blast for the monument construction was in 1948), and how long it will take to complete. The project is not supported with federal or state government funding by design, and work is completed at its own pace.

One of my favorite things about the Black Hills was my drive through Custer State Park. I had read that to see the best wildlife along the drive, you really need to travel early in the morning or at dusk. So I went to bed early and got on the road before sunrise. I was well rewarded by seeing bison (or buffalo), deer, wild turkeys (and vultures) before I even left the campground!


The drive also rewarded me with pronghorns (or antelope) and marmot sightings.

Watching baby buffalo frolicking around in the morning would make anyone smile!
Buffalo in the mist

I took the Iron Mountain Road, which offered stunning views of the landscape and peek-a-boo views of Mount Rushmore seen through the tunnel openings. What a smart strategy of road building!



Goin' in. I reminded myself of the RV's dimensions before planning my route.
There was just one tunnel in the area that I wouldn't be able to drive through.

I went through this 8'4" wide tunnel very slowly and carefully!
I'm in!

Looking back
The "Eye of the Needle" formation

I went in a cave! I'm not into confined spaces, and frankly, the idea of being in an underground opening with the potential of falling rocks creeps me out. But there are so many caves people say are fascinating that I've always felt I've been missing out by never going to one. So I took advantage of being in an area without a ton of violent seismic activity and went to Jewel Cave.

At least it was well lit!
Just at one point they turned the lights out so our
group of five could see how dark it really was (completely).

I just kept putting thoughts about being underground out of my head and really enjoyed the hour-and-a-half Scenic Tour they offered.

Lots of rocks just wedged and hovering overhead.
At least the guide said they'd been in the same location since the cave was discovered.


Hard to get good photos using a cell phone in a cave, but this was one example of the "jewel" formations.
Now I'm in Cody, Wyoming, getting ready to hit the road for Yellowstone National Park. I took the time in Cody to go to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum, full of history and interpretive displays about the Cody and Yellowstone areas, Buffalo Bill Cody, the Plains Indians, and Western art and firearms galleries. Looking forward to seeing more of the natural beauty of the area in Yellowstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment