Thursday, December 25, 2014

Gingerbread and Midnight Pancakes: Merry Christmas 2014!



I've never been away from "home" on Christmas until this year. Sometimes it's been my home, or the home where I grew up or with in-laws. This year I'm at my sister's apartment and experiencing a new Christmas. It's a windy morning in Brentwood but it will still be pleasant enough weather all day for just a light jacket. I'm hoping to get to Santa Monica today for one last beach visit before heading east. My RV repair is done and I pick it up and head out tomorrow.

Last night, on Christmas Eve, we went to a great family party (Michelle's LA family). They start with a gingerbread house construction contest (poolside on the patio, of course). After dinner they have a white elephant gift exchange where there's deliberately such a wide variety of gifts, ranging from real duds (deodorant, plain boxer shorts, pickles) to prized American Express gift cards, and very specific rules about "steals" so it was spirited and fun.

Tonight Michelle and I will get together with one of her former housemates who has to work today for "midnight pancakes" at a 24-hour restaurant.

It's a holiday where I'm missing Steve, and Michelle's missing her guy, but we're together and appreciating that, and we will make the best of all we have.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Gingerbread winners:

No comments:

Post a Comment